A coupling acts like a connection between two shafts for the transmission of power. Gear couplings are the mechanical devices used for joining two rotating shafts for an efficient transmission of the mechanical power. They are an important part of any machinery because even though the shafts may be aligned during installation, this alignment is bound to be disrupted during regular operations. This disruption can happen due to shaft deflection, thermal expansion, improper maintenance, wear out or any other reason. It is at these times that gear couplings minimize or compensate the misalignment effect so as to avoid putting any additional pressure on the machine parts. Gear couplings are highly power invasive and have a wide range of applications in all industries.
Difference between universal joints and gear couplings
Though universal joints and gear couplings are used for similar applications, gear couplings have a higher torque density than the universal joints so as to fit a given space. However, universal joints induce lower vibrations than their coupling counterparts. This is because gear couplings have gear teeth having a high backlash that allows for angular misalignment and contributes to the vibration.
Ordering the right gear coupling
There are several types of gear couplings available with your nearest gear coupling manufacturer such as triple crowned gear coupling and several others. It is important to order the one that is best suitable for you. There is a complete check list of information that needs to be kept in mind that needs to be supplied to your gear coupling manufacturers so that you get the one best suitable to your process.
- The quantity required as well as your expectations regarding the delivery of the same.
- Exact bore or shaft sizes along with key way dimensions need to be specified along with the tolerances.
- State the maximum and normal usage conditions along with load and torque required at a specific RPM.
- Specification of the speed of operation- maximum, minimum or normal
- Specify the exact application of the triple crowned gear coupling or its counterparts to your gear coupling manufacturers. This is because there are some service factor conformities in specific industries where there is a limit to the frequent reversing peak loads and heavy shock conditions.
- Specify the exact series, type and size of the coupling
- Specify the space limitations such as shaft extensions, envelope dimensions or shaft spacing.
- Do state if there are any unusual misalignment conditions to your gear coupling manufacturers
- Specifications about any unusual operating conditions and atmosphere should also be shared
Maintenance of gear coupling
Maintaining a gear coupling is very simple. Even specific types like triple crowned gear couplings can be maintained with a regular inspection of the same. This consists of:
- Performing visual checks and inspections for any sign of wear and tear and cleaning the same regularly
- Checking and regularly changing the lubricant. This is mostly done annually but is more frequent for gear couplings installed in adverse conditions.
- Documentation of every maintenance and checks done along with the date its done on.
Remember, it is important to know what you are looking for so that you get the best from your gear coupling manufacturers. With appropriate maintenance schedule, they can last much longer and function better.